Three area individuals wanted by federal agents plead guilty Monday to federal child pornography charges. Agents first got wind of the issue when one of the men involved attempted to setup a meeting with a 16 year old girl after trading explicit photos with her. The first of the 3 separate men include 50 year old Larry Allison of Weaubleau who could face 15 years to 30 years in prison. The second man is Paul Kern who notified agents of pop ups on his computer before admitting that he had been viewing them on his own. The third individual was Christopher May out of the Fair Grove area who plead guilty to sending and receiving child pornography and could face 5 to 20 years in prison.
The final person wanted for stealing gas out of Maries County has been captured. According to reports, Jeremy Rector of Dixon turned himself in to Sheriff Chris Heitman following the arrest of two others involved in the case, Kyle Hurst and Jessica Barnhart. All three were wanted by police after being caught on camera stealing fuel and vandalizing property at the County Road Shed on Route 133 off Highway 42. All three are charged with felony property damage, stealing and trespassing. Rector posted a bond of $15,000 and was released.
Bad news for Deer hunters in Missouri, the Deer population continues to drop and Conservation officials are worried. Reports show that hunters took in just over 250,000 whitetail deer last year which is the lowest total in a decade. Due to the small amount, Conservation officials are limiting the amount of Deer that hunters can get in certain counties instead of catching unlimited amounts. Officials believe the cause of the loss in Deer is directly related to an outbreak of a hemorrhagic disease. A full list of the rules in each county can be found on the conservation’s website at mdc.mo.gov.
A Laclede County woman facing charges for allegedly taking part in a gang beating, torture and rape of a Niangua woman is scheduled for a plea hearing Tuesday. 21 year old Kristin Prince is one of four people implicated in the crime which took place in May of last year at the home of Charles and Angela Medina. David Lowery, one of the other defendants in the case was sentenced last month to 20 years in prison. Prince had a pre-trial conference Monday.
Road officials are ready to fix a problem this winter so that it doesn’t happen again. Every time it rains, the low water crossing on Vaughn Fork Road floods over making it impossible to travel on the road until the water subsides. Officials say they plan to get started on it by next week after crews looked at the area on Monday and will be looking into adding a higher roadbed and box culverts to end the water issues. The project is expected to cost about $270,000.
There may be some changes coming as to when the Camden County Planning and Zoning commission elects its officers. The proposed change would move the date to the board’s June meeting which would correct a conflict in dates between bylaws and the unified land use code. It would also position the election of officers with the appointment of commissioners to new terms. The modification, which will undergo a legal review, was requested by Commissioners Beverly Thomas and Cliff Luber this past summer. A public hearing on the matter is expected to be held in December and will then go to the County Commission for consideration.
More than 100 residents in Sunrise Beach are a step closer to having cleaner drinking water. The Village is on a funding list to receive a grant that would pay for 75 percent of the phase three water project. The remaining 25 percent would be funded thru a loan from the department of natural resources. The total cost of the project is estimated at nearly $1.5 million dollars and will serve 122 news users with clean drinking water in the castle gardens and lucky strike subdivisions.