A Stover man is found guilty of shooting a man to death three years ago in the Ivy Bend area. A jury in Morgan County Court found 61-year old James A. Wager guilty on one count of Involuntary Manslaughter in the 1st degree and guilty on one count of Armed Criminal Action. These charges stem from the shooting death of Nathan Walker on July 15th 2010 in the Ivy Bend area of Morgan County. Wager will face sentencing on these charges in the Circuit Court of Morgan County on Friday, November 22, 2013.
The search for a missing teenage girl ends after she is found safe and sound in Miller County. On Tuesday, authorities cancelled an Endangered Person Advisory for 16-year old Ethel Parker. Authorities would not say where she was found and also say that no more information will be released at this time. Parker was reported missing on October 28th.
Despite many rumors a medial clinic on the west side of the Lake is not closing anytime soon. At a town hall meeting last week Dr. Ken Derrington, the Director of the Westside Medical Clinic in Laurie, told those in attendance that they are not closing and that he is not retiring. Derrington did have to stop working this summer because of a serious accident, but he is back working full time. He along with the board of the clinic says they want to provide medical care for the community without being affiliated with a hospital. Derrington says the clinic is still facing financial challenges due in part to changes in government programs and the Sustained Growth Rate. But 34 thousand dollars has been raised by the fundraising committee and the clinic is looking into applying for grants. The clinic is also in the process of looking for more doctors. The Westside Medical Clinic will have an open house for the community on Wednesday.
It was a bad day for one Korean veteran in Sunrise Beach on Veterans Day. After setting a pile of leaves on fire, wind started to blow and soon the fire had spread to the outdoor shed. Eventually the fire started to affect the house before Sunrise Beach firefighters were able to put out the fire. According to fire Chief Dennis Reilly the veteran was not injured and his home is salvageable but he won’t be able to stay in it for a while.
Reilly says if you are planning to burn leaves to make sure you watch the weather and make sure there will not be any major wind gusts. Also make sure you burn your leaves in a pile far away from buildings and never lose sight of the fire. If anything gets out of hand, make sure to call the fire department immediately. Depending on where you live you may need to make sure you have the proper burn permit in order to burn the items.
Three people are taken to a hospital after a crash over the weekend in Miller County. The Missouri Highway Patrol says the accident happened on Saturday night on Humphrey Creek Road and Route A. A pick up driven by 19-year old Sabian Salais of Dixon was going at a high rate of speed and ran a stop sign. The truck then went airborne and went off the road where it hit a tree. 18-year old Lauren Keeran, 16-year old Paige Pemberton and 18-year old Perry Pemberton, all of Iberia, were taken to a Jefferson City hospital. Salais was not injured.
The Lake of the Ozarks Watershed Alliance will be having their last information meeting for the year on Wednesday night. Donna Swall, the Executive Director of LOWA says the meeting will be about how to keep the lake healthy and the cost share incentive program which is a partnership with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Grant Project Manager Caroline Toole will make a presentation about low-impact landscaping, runoff control, and shoreline stabilization with the cost share program. The meeting will start at 6:30 and will be held at the Stables next to Cannon Smoked Saloon in Sunrise Beach. An RSVP is required for the meeting and must be made by Monday. This can be done online at sos.lowa.org or by calling 573 434 4400.
As colder weather moves in, the systems we us to keep warm, like space heaters and furnaces, become a concern for firefighters. Already this season, firefighters have doused flames at various homes because of fires possibly sparked by heaters. Anything combustible should be kept at least three feet away from any heater and be sure children and pets stay away, too. All portable heaters should be turned off before bed, chimneys should be cleaned and smoke detectors tested. And with the upcoming holidays, turkey cookers, christmas lights and extension cords and other items also spark concern.