A 23-year old man is in jail after allegedly breaking into a pharmacy in Eldon. Eldon Police say around 4:30 on Thursday morning, officers responded to an alarm at Eldon Drug on Maple Street. Officers found damage to a back entrance and went inside the building where they found the suspect hiding in a basement. He had a large amount of prescription drugs in his possession. The man was taken to the Miller County Jail where he is being held pending the filing of burglary, stealing and property damage charges. Eldon Police were assisted by Miller County deputies and the Miller County K-9 Unit.
One person is seriously injured and is also facing a DWI charge after an early morning accident in Miller County. The Missouri Highway Patrol says on Thursday morning, a pick up driven by 24-year old Joshua Lage of Eugene was on Route H just east of Mary’s Home. The truck went off the road and he over corrected. The vehicle then overturned multiple times and ejected Lage. He was taken by helicopter to a Columbia hospital for treatment. The Highway Patrol says Lage was charged with driving while intoxicated and failing to drive on the right half of the road.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol reminds drivers that many people will be traveling over the Thanksgiving weekend. The Patrol will be participating in Operation C.A.R.E (Combined Accident Reduction Effort). As part of this operation, all available officers will be assigned to the roads to enforce traffic laws, especially those related to drunk driving, speeding, and seat belt/child restraint use. Troopers will also be assisting motorists as needed. A 20-Mile Trooper operation where troopers are assigned at 20-mile intervals will be happening along Interstates 29, 44, 55, and 70, as well as U.S. Highways 60 and 61. During the 2012 Thanksgiving holiday weekend, six persons were killed and another 434 were injured in 12 hundred traffic crashes. That means traffic crashes killed or injured one person every 14 minutes in Missouri over last year’s Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Route 5 at the Hurricane Deck Bridge will be completely closed in both directions for approximately fifteen minutes next Thursday as crews take down a portion of the old bridge. Crews will be blasting a 740-foot section of the old Hurricane Deck Bridge at 11 a.m., and the area must be cleared for approximately 10 minutes prior to about five minutes after the blast. Water traffic will be prohibited in a 1,500-foot radius from the bridge for approximately one hour, starting at 10:30 a.m. and ending at approximately 11:30 a.m. People in watercraft who want to travel under the bridge should plan their trip accordingly. Bob Lynch is area engineer with MoDOT and says the closure as far as the roadway goes will be as short as they can make it.
Once the area is secured, the span from the north end of the old bridge to the second pier in the water will be blasted and around one million pounds of steel from the truss will be dropped into the Lake of the Ozarks. Crews will then sweep the new Hurricane Deck Bridge to clear any debris before reopening the highway to traffic. The Missouri Department of Transportation and the prime contractor will be working with local law enforcement and water patrol to make sure that the area is safe and secure before and after the blast. The blast is the first of three blasts to demolish the old Hurricane Deck Bridge. The second blast will be scheduled within two weeks after the first blast and the third blast will take place approximately two weeks after the second blast, weather permitting. The old bridge had been in service since 1936, but was closed on Monday, Sept. 9, when the new Hurricane Deck Bridge was opened to traffic.
Officials with the Rocky Mount Sewer District are now deciding what will be the next step after they are turned down by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources for a loan that would have been used for a major sewer project. The district was hoping to receive a Clean Water State Revolving Fund low interest loan for the sewer project that would serve 250 customers in the Rocky Mount area. Other phases could be added on which would serve another 12 hundred customers. In a letter to the district, DNR Director Sara Pauley noted several reasons why the loan would not be given including fluctuations in the user rate and the number of users, the need for the system to be operated by a licensed operator rather than volunteers and the district’s reluctance to get funding from the Community Block Grant program. Pauley did say further development of the project could lead to the loan be given in the future. Stan Schultz with Schultz Surveying and Engineering says they fought hard for the plan they presented and that things became confusing for everyone as they moved along in the process. He says they will get a sewer project in the ground in Rocky Mount.
The signing was done and soon the construction will begin on Phase 1 Sanitary sewer project. The Village of Sunrise Beach signed the grant contracts with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources at the Sunrise Beach City Hall, after a pre construction conference. After a year of design, grant applications, and consideration, the Clean Water Commission placed the Sunrise Beach Phase 1 sewer project on the fund-able list for $6.12 million in state revolving funds from the EPA and MDNR. The initial phase will consist of service to approximately 25 residential and 40 commercial customers, traveling from Spring Cove Road or Lake Road 5-39, to the Hurricane Deck Bridge. Phase 1 construction will begin on Monday, Dec. 9 and they will have 270 days to complete the project, putting the project completion in August 2014.
A Lake Area man is convicted of raping a woman in Illinois in 2012. A jury in Kane County Illinois deliberated about 10 hours before finding 37-year old Mudy Munoz-Salgado of Eldon guilty of rape, battery and unlawful restraint. Prosecutors say last year, Munoz-Salgado attacked a woman at a motel in Elgin, Illinois. The victim had come from Missouri to visit her boyfriend who was working on a construction crew with Munoz-Salgado. He attacked her as she stepped out of her room late at night. Prosecutors were able to convict Munoz-Salgado without the victim testifying. She had left Illinois after the investigation and could not be found for the trial.