results of structure fire in D-Road area

Despite warmer weather on the way for the Lake Area, you might be trying to thaw the pipes in your home.

If that’s the case, the Mid-County Fire Protection District is urging caution.

“If you’re heating a metal pipe, it may be heating a piece of wood it’s touching that’s six feet down the pipe, which could cause a fire that way.”

Fire Marshall Lianne Johnson tells KRMS News the risk of fire goes up in colder weather as people try to stay warm.

“If you’re going to be utilizing a space heater, we highly recommend you only utilize it when you’re awake or in the area of the heater.”

Johnson says space heaters can turn over, which could start a fire, and she recommends you should make sure pets, children and anything combustible are kept at least three feet away from those heaters.

As far as other alternative methods of keeping warm?

“When it comes to things like a wood burning stove or fireplace, make sure the flu is open and it’s clear of debris and make sure you’re disposing of the ash properly.”

Johnson says it’s also important to make sure your smoke detector is working and you have a carbon monoxide detector in the house.

WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com