With colder temperatures here to stay, area fire departments are urging caution when using portable heaters to keep warm.
Officials around the lake say one of the biggest contributors to house fires during winter, is misuse of the heaters.
Ed Nicholson with the Osage Beach Fire Department.
He tells KRMS News these “space heaters” are not meant to be a permanent solution to heating issues.
Experts say that it’s not safe to use extension cords on the heaters and if you have to, make sure the cord is rated for the type of power it will be pulling.
A low rated extension cord pulling higher amps can cause a fire.