Cuts to Fort Leonard Wood were expected in the coming years, but an announcement Wednesday by the commanding officer of the base said the cuts would be arriving quicker than expected and have a greater impact. Maj. Gen. Leslie Smith announced Wednesday afternoon during a town hall meeting at Nutter Field House that the Fort will reduce troop strength by 1,000 soldiers by fiscal year 2015. Smith also said 140 civilian positions could be transitioned into military positions. The reductions are part of the Army 2020 initiative that began last year. Smith said the 1,000 military positions were originally set to be eliminated in fiscal year 2017, but the reductions were moved up to implement cost savings for the Army.