It’s Halloween, the time when youngster like to head out and go trick or treating with friends and families across the area. Here are some tips to help keep your youngster safe while out and about through the evening.
- Only trick-or-treat in places you and your child are familiar with.
- Take your time, there’s no need to race from place to place. Also, stick to sidewalks rather than walking on the road.
- Follow the rules of the road. Cross on crosswalks and always look both ways before crossing the street.
- Carry around a flashlight – this way you can see some hidden hazards (such as lawn ornaments). It also helps other people see you.
- Keep to a path, rather than cutting through various yards, parks and alleys.
- Trick-or-treat only at well-lit homes whose outdoor lights are on.
- Be sure that your kids have a reflector strip on their costume and bag, so that other people can see them.
- Plan ahead. If you’re not chaperoning your children make sure you know where they are going. Also make sure they have a method of reaching you and know what time they are expected back.
- Always inspect your children’s candy before they eat it and don’t let them eat anything that has already been opened.
Be safe out there