With the Thanksgiving Holiday upon us, the American Red Cross is sending out a warning that cooking is the number one cause of home fires. The Red Cross is also offering several tips that can help prevent you from becoming a victim of a home fire. Among the tips:
1) Don’t wear loose clothing or sleeves that dangle while you are cooking;
2) If you are frying, grilling or broiling, never leave it unattended;
3) Use a timer to remind yourself that the stove or oven is on;
4) Keep kids, pets and anything that can catch fire such as pot holders and oven mitts away from the cooking area;
5) Clean cooking surfaces often to prevent a build-up of grease;
6) And always check the kitchen before going to bed to make sure everything is turned off.