For the second time in less than a week, authorities are investigating an electrocution death at a dock on the Lake of the Ozarks. A woman was swimming with her two younger stepbrothers two children near a dock in Dry Branch Cove, at the 4 MM on the Gravois Arm, when Highway Patrol Sgt. Paul Reinsch says they felt the tingling of electricity in the water:
26-year-old Jennifer Lankford of Hazelwood, MO swam to the dock, grabbed the ladder to get out of the water, and received a fatal shock:
On the 4th of July two children from Ashland, Missouri were electrocuted while swimming near another dock, not far away.
Lakefront homeowners are being urged to have their docks checked to make sure they’re safe:
Gravois Fire Protection District Chief Ed Hancock says he’s surprised there haven’t been more electrocutions:
A meeting of local emergency service officials and Ameren Missouri is being planned to formulate a safety check guideline that can be used to educate the public about the dangers of electrical shock in the water around docks.